Save money and energy with an air source heat pump
An air-source heat pump (ASHP)is a highly energy-efficient, cost-effective, low-maintenance option to heat and cool your home.
An air-source heat pump works by extracting heat from the outside air and transferring it into the home, unlike traditional fossil fuel heating systems such as a furnace, which uses electricity or combustion to generate heat inside your home. This method is less efficient than a heat pump’s process and is not as environmentally friendly. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, an air-source heat pump can deliver up to three times more heat energy to a home than the electrical energy it consumes.
In summer, the system is reversed to provide cooling by removing heat from the indoor air and expelling it to the outside.
What are the benefits of an air-source heat pump?
- Lower running costs: Since air-source heat pumps are far more efficient than traditional HVAC heating systems, running costs are much lower.
- Renewable energy: Air-source heat pumps use renewable energy from the air, reducing your carbon footprint.
- Easy to install: Easy installation means minimal disruption to your home.
- Low maintenance: Air-source heat pumps are designed to be low maintenance, requiring only occasional servicing.
- Flexible heating options: Heat pumps can be set up to automatically switch between electric heat, gas heat, and cooling, maintaining the comfort level you desire year-round.
An air-source heat pump works by extracting heat from the outside air and transferring it into the home, unlike traditional fossil fuel heating systems such as a furnace, which uses electricity or combustion to generate heat inside your home.
Do I need both an air-source heat pump and a furnace, or only one?
Recent technological advancements in heat pump development have produced models that can perform very well in our cold climate. Our recommended models and brands are certainly up to the task and provide great reliability.
Right now there is a “Cold Climate Heat Pump Challenge” in the market to develop the best air source heat pumps for cold climates. These improved units will provide more reliable heating to even colder outdoor temperatures than those available today.
However, since we do live in Minnesota and can have some long stretches of sub-zero weather along with constantly fluctuating utility costs, the versatility of a dual-fuel heating system can be very beneficial.
Ductless or Ducted: Deciding on the Right Heat Pump
Does your home have a furnace with ductwork?
If your home has a gas furnace with ductwork, and you need a new heat pump or an upgrade from your old air conditioner, the Bosch BOVA series air source heat pump would be the best option for you.
Is your home heated with a boiler or baseboard heat?
On the other hand, if your home has boiler heat or electric baseboard heat, a ductless heat pump mini-split will provide an excellent upgrade from those heavy window air conditioning units you've been laboring over every year. In this case, we recommend either the Samsung WindFree Series or the MaxHeat® ductless heat pump mini-splits as a more efficient and convenient way to heat and cool your home.
Our Recommended Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pumps
- Increased Efficiency: The Samsung WindFree Series and MaxHeat® mini split heat pumps are designed to provide higher SEER ratings than traditional heat pumps — up to 23.5 SEER, and 24.5 SEER, respectively. This results in 40% less energy than traditional heating and cooling systems, resulting in lower energy bills
- Advanced Technology: Built-in Wi-Fi, a variable speed compressor, a DC inverter, and a built-in humidity control system that support precise temperature control and energy savings
- Quiet Operation: Noise reduction technology for quiet operation
- Easy Installation: Quick and easy installation for minimal disruption to your home
- Versatility: Dual heating and cooling capabilities make them ideal for all climates, and the variety of sizes means there is a model to suit any size home
- Flexible zoning: Customizable zone-based heating and cooling temperatures in different rooms
- Durability: Long-lasting and dependable for years to come
- Samsung SmartThings: Seamless integration with Google Home or Alexa.
For more information as to which model will work best to heat and cool your home, get in touch — we'll be happy to advise.
Our Recommended Ducted Air-Source Heat Pump for Full Standard HVAC Systems: Bosch BOVA
We like the cost-effective Bosch BOVA heat pump, an economically attractive option for homeowners looking to save on energy bills. Not only are installation costs lower than competitive brands, their overall efficiency means operating costs are 30–50% lower than those of traditional heating systems.
- Increased Efficiency: The Bosch BOVA air source heat pump. has a highly efficient rating of up to 4.3 coefficient of performance (COP). This means it can produce up to 4.3 units of heat energy for every 1 unit of electrical energy consumed, resulting in significant energy savings.
- Quiet Operation: Its quiet operation makes it an ideal choice for both residential and commercial usages, and for those who are sensitive to noise.
- Durability: Robust construction and high-quality components make it a reliable choice that can withstand a harsh outdoor environment
- Low Carbon Footprint: Runs on renewable energy and is free from carbon emissions, making it an environmentally friendly heating solution.
- Easy Installation: Bosch BOVA units can easily be installed in place of your existing AC unit thanks to the flexibility of its wiring. This is a feature that stands out above the competition and makes it an excellent option for homeowners who want to upgrade their existing heating system.
Always consult with a licensed HVAC professional to determine the best solution for your specific heating and cooling needs and to ensure proper installation and operation.