Invest in a furnace for future savings in energy costs.
A furnace should serve you well for 15–20 years with proper maintenance, and ideally, should be efficient enough to reduce your energy bill.
Fortunately, advancements in rapidly changing technology and environmental regulations have led to the development of more efficient and environmentally friendly furnaces. But with so many changes and choices, it can be overwhelming when the time comes to decide on which new furnace to buy.
While it’s true that some furnace models may have a higher initial cost, their future energy cost savings and environmental impact may make it worth it in the long run. In fact, some environmentally friendly furnace models that reduce emissions and energy usage may even qualify for tax credits or other incentives, which can help offset the cost as well.
It’s important to weigh the cost savings against the upfront cost and determine what makes the most sense for your own home's heating budget and energy usage. Let us help you select and install the furnace that will serve your current and future HVAC needs.
Replacing the old furnace in your central heating system with a more up-to-date and efficient model can help offset soaring energy prices
What Should I Look for When Buying a Furnace?
The best furnaces will:
- Be efficient in both gas and electrical consumption
- Keep your home warm and comfortable
- Be quiet
- Last 15–20 years
- Require only low service frequency and cost
- Provide steady, dependable performance year after year
Some environmentally friendly furnace models that reduce emissions and energy usage may qualify for tax credits or other incentives, which can help offset the cost.
Which Furnaces are Energy Efficient?
When we determine energy efficiency we want to consider the overall energy consumption needed to provide heat in our home. This includes a comparison of the gas efficiency rating with how much electricity is consumed to move the heated air.
Here at Joel Smith Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc., we prefer to install the Ruud brand as our equipment of choice, based on Ruud's furnaces' exceptional efficiency and dependability over the years. Ruud offers a variety of furnaces that have an efficiency rating of 95% and above. The high-efficiency ratings and energy-saving features of Ruud's furnaces make them a viable option for customers who wish to reduce their energy consumption and lower their monthly utility bills.
In addition to their energy efficiency, Ruud furnaces have a reputation for durability and longevity, and with proper maintenance will serve you and your family for many years.
It's also important to note that Ruud offers a comprehensive warranty program for their furnaces, so you will have peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.
How Do Ruud Furnaces Stand Apart from the Crowd?
Ruud has been an industry leader in furnace and heat exchanger design for decades, producing high-quality products that are known for their reliability and durability, including:
- Use of a very reliable tubular design that provides efficient heat transfer, dependability, and durability surpassing that in other types of heat exchanger designs.
- A Direct Spark Ignition system, which has proved to be far superior to the hot surface design other brands use. A consistent reliable ignition system is critical for providing reliable heating cycles during our long cold winters.
- Reputation as an industry leader in the low-profile design of the unit itself. The design of this furnace, with its insulated cabinets and sealed doors, provides a very quiet operation.
- A 10-year parts warranty along with a Limited Lifetime Heat Exchanger warranty.
Additionally, Ruud is cited as one of the more reliable brands according to a leading consumer magazine.
Remember that even the best furnaces need a little TLC from time to time to keep them running at their optimal efficiency and performance.
Maintenance Tips to Ensure Your Furnace’s Longevity & Efficiency
Regular maintenance and tune-ups for your furnace will keep it running efficiently during the winter, and can identify any potential issues before they become serious problems. Here are some tips to help you keep your furnace working at its best:
- Replace your furnace filter regularly.
- Check for air leaks around windows and doors, and if necessary, seal them to prevent heat loss that may overwork your furnace and increase your energy consumption.
- Keep the area around your furnace clear to ensure proper airflow.
- Always follow proper safety precautions when working with your furnace. To be 100% safe, contact our professional team at Joel Smith HVAC.
Is a Furnace Always the Best Choice? What About an Air-Source Heat Pump? Or Both?
Recent technological advancements in heat pump development have produced models that perform very well in our cold climate. At Joel Smith HVAC we do offer recommended models and brands that are well up to the task and provide great reliability.
However, since we do live in Minnesota and can have some long stretches of sub-zero weather along with constantly fluctuating utility costs, the versatility of a dual-fuel heating system can be very beneficial.